Creamy Vegan Sweet Potato Pumpkin Tofu Stew
Sweet potato has a special taste of its own, doesn’t it?
Sweet with a thick and rich texture. This recipe combines this with luscious pumpkin and soft tofu chunks in a creamy stew. Healthy, wholesome and delicious.
Preparation Time: 1 hour to 45 minutes
- 11 small pumpkin
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp all spice powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 200gm packs tofu
- 1 200ml pack thick coconut milk
- Wash the pumpkin and de-seed it. Scrub the sweet potato and clean it well. Make large cubes of both vegetables with their peels intact.
- In a large pot, heat the oil and stir fry the vegetables. Add the spices and salt and stir fry again.
- Add 4-5 Cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on a medium flame for about 20 minutes, until the vegetables have become soft. Stir once in awhile in between.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion into big chunks and spread them out on a baking sheet by separating the layers with your hands. Grill/broil them in an oven until they are crispy and almost burnt (or cook in the microwave on high for 5-6 minutes). These onion ‘chips’ take on a sweet flavor and are yummy to eat plain!
- Also cube the tofu and keep aside.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, let them cool for a few minutes. Then add the burnt onions and puree everything together (I find a hand blender to be very convenient for this purpose. They are inexpensive and handy).
- Add the coconut milk and more water if required and blend some more. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Place the pot back on the stove and add the chunks of tofu. Simmer covered, on a low flame, for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve hot over Plain rice or by itself!
Pledge to try veg
Sign up to get great tips and recipes