Raw cashew milk, coconut milk and nut and seed milk
The coolest thing about being vegan is realizing how many awesome options you have. Case in point: nut milks.
Coconut milk is a favourite amongst people for its rich taste and creaminess. Cashew milk is similar. The following recipe will show you how to make milk from coconuts.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup grated fresh mature coconut (not drinking coconut)
- 1 cup warm water-Grate a coconut and place in the grinder till the grinder is 1/2 full.
Grate a coconut and place in the grinder till the grinder is 1/2 full.
- Add a 1/2 cup of warm water and grind.
- Sieve the mixture through a sieve with slightly large mesh.
- Squeeze the substance well with a spoon or with the hands to take out all the milk. Save the fibre.
- Once all the milk is extracted, repeat the procedure with the fibre and a little water to extract the remaining milk. Discard the fibre.
- Sesame seeds/cashew nuts/sprouted wheat/almonds can be added to the coconut milk by making them into a butter and adding a small quantity of this butter and about 4 – 6 times this quantity of water to the coconut milk and blending well.
- Alternatively the seeds can be put in the grinder along with the grated coconut and warm water directly. However by this method some of the nuts or seeds may be lost along with the coconut fibre that is discarded.
Pledge to try veg
Sign up to get great tips and recipes