Waking up in the morning to a nice, fresh bowl of upma is a lovely start to anyone’s day.
This South Indian breakfast staple is filled with nutrients (and flavour!). It’s easy to veganize if you avoid adding ghee.Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups quick cooking rolled oats
- 3 tsp oil
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (rai / sarson)
- 1 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
- 5 to 6 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 whole dry kashmiri red chilli, broken into pieces
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
FOR THE GARNISH
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a non-stick pan, add the oats and ½ tsp of turmeric powder and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till it turns light brown in colour, stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tsp of oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal, curry leaves, red chillies and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
Pledge to try veg
Sign up to get great tips and recipes