Avial (Special Kerala Side Dish)
Avial is yet another South Indian dish that is SO easy to veganize.
Chunks of vegetables dressed in fresh coconut make a delightful meal. This is perfect for those days you want to end your day with something light.
- 3 cup vegetables cut into long (approx 1 inch) pieces – yam, carrot, beans, potato, baby corn, peas
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 5-6 green chillies
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 2 cups dry coconut powder (grated fresh coconut is even better)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- Curry leaves
- 1/8 tsp asafetida powder
- 3-4 dry red chillies (each broken into 3-4 pieces)
- Coconut oil
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon/lime juice
- 2 cups peanut yogurt
- Toss the chopped veggies in turmeric and some salt and steam them until tender (about half an hour)
- Grind the coconut, ginger, green chillies, cumin and a little more salt together into a paste using water as required.
- In a large, heavy bottomed vessel heat a few tbsp of coconut oil and add the mustard seeds and cover loosely. As soon as they have stopped crackling (half a minute), add the dry red chillies, curry leaves and asafetida.
Pledge to try veg
Sign up to get great tips and recipes