Mixed Dal and Rice Dosa Recipe
The dosa is a classic Indian crepe that can be both soft and crispy, depending on your mood.
It’s super easy getting creative with this dish. This version is made from mixed lentils, making this a protein rich option.
Preparation Time: Overnight
- 1/2 cup rice (chawal), washed and drained
- 1/4 cup toovar (arhar) dal, washed and drained
- 1 tbsp urad dal (split black lentils), washed and drained
- 1 tbsp chana dal (split bengal gram), washed and drained
- 1 tbsp whole moong (whole green gram), washed and drained
- 1 tbsp whole wheat (gehun), washed and drained
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- 2 1/2 tsp oil for cooking
-Combine the rice, toovar dal, urad dal, chana dal, whole moong and whole wheat in a deep bowl and soak it in enough water for 2 hours. Drain well.
-Blend in a mixer along with 1½ cups of water till smooth.
-Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the salt and mix well. Cover it with a lid and keep aside to ferment in a warm place for 12 hours.
-Once fermented, add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and coriander and mix well.
-Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), sprinkle a little water on the tava (griddle) and wipe it off gently using a cloth.
-Pour a large ladleful of the batter on it and spread it in a circular motion to make a 175 mm. (7”) diameter circle.
-Smear ¼ tsp of oil over it and along the edges and cook on a high flame till the dosa turns brown in colour and crisp from both the sides.
-Fold over to make a semi-circle or a roll.
-Repeat with the remaining batter to make 9 more dosas.
-Serve immediately with sambhar.
This recipe comes from Tarla Dalal at www.tarladalal.com